Saturday, December 31, 2011
How to Wear a Corset or Bra as a Top
Always the trendsetter, Rihanna is often spotted rocking a corset or bra as a top. Nobody does it better. Of course rock-stars can get away with wearing styles that are more outrageous than most of us. But you can wear this trend if you follow a few rules:
1. If you are wearing a bra as a top, wear a high-waisted pant or skirt to cover your bellybutton. Less midruff will show, and it will appear more classy than hoochy.
2. When wearing a bustier or bra as a top, throw on a blazer or sweater as a cover-up. You can leave it open in the front, but the outfit definitely needs an extra piece so it looks like you didn’t just forget your shirt.
3. Small to average sized breasts can easily pull this look off. If you have large breasts consider wearing a bra with the corset, so you have the extra coverage and support. Don’t show more than 3 or 4 inches of cleavage!
If you have any other suggestions, I would love to hear them! Leave them in the comments section. Happy New Year!
Tuesday, December 27, 2011
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
More gift ideas from Bellefleur- the perfect chemise...
Wednesday, December 7, 2011
|Mary Green Slippers $32|
Tuesday, December 6, 2011
Monday, November 28, 2011
Friday, November 18, 2011
If any of you have ever wondered what it is like to attend a lingerie fashion show in NY, here is a little taste for you!
PS My husband is brainwashed-- he actually commented that he couldn't believe he was actually looking at the lingerie (instead of the girls:)
Thursday, October 6, 2011
Friday, September 9, 2011
A lot of women see lingerie as a means to an end: sex.
We all know that buying sassy lingerie can help spice-up your love-life. However, what about wearing lingerie to enhance your relationship with yourself? Eh?
Have you thought about how you treat yourself? What message are you sending yourself with your lingerie? Even if you are currently single--or not wanting to attract anyone at the moment--that's okay! How about attracting you to, ahem, yourself?
I am not talking about turning yourself on--I mean how do you feel when you put on your underwear in the morning? Inspired? Dreading the day? Numb? Excited about what the day will bring?
Consider paying a little more attention to yourself. Maybe lingerie isn't typically your thing, but just experiment for a week: pick out your lingerie in the morning as carefully as you pick out your clothes. Whether they match or not, wear something that suits your mood. Just have a positive intention about your body, femininity, and your underwear! That self care will turn in to confidence.
Confidence = sexy.
If you have any inspired stories about lingerie, please leave one below in the comment section!
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Simone Perele Estrella bra: $110
Thong (not pictured): $50
Wednesday, August 10, 2011
Of course you can occasionally go without underwire support. Even I enjoy my summer days with a skimpy top and no bra (thank you petite breasts). But there are rules, people! Okay, maybe there aren't really rules, but there should be.
1. Wear a soft, lace bra without underwires: Often called a bralet, these pieces mimic a half-camisole and will add style to any flowy, summer dress rather than detract from it. Some bralets and bandeau styles (with no straps) are actually supportive through a D cup.
2. Nipple covers/pasties: Available in simple, nude silicone and in bright, colorful shapes, you can have fun with this accessory. Pasties work best when you are wearing something fitted on top that provides a little support, but you just don't want to nip-out through your top. I love Nippies for their colorful, fun, heart-shaped nipple covers. Perfect for a date night or event where you may have a wardrobe malfunction. You can spot Rhianna (pictured) and other celebs flashing their Nippies on purpose.
3. Tape 'em up!: There is special pre-shaped tape that you can buy to stick the girls up! There is a wide variety of stick on bras available. I like Sexy In Seconds strapless support pads (pictured above) because they are individual "pads" that adhere to each breast. The u-shape holds up each breast and can also create a bit of cleavage. These work through a C cup.
4. If you are a small A/B cup- you have my blessing to go braless!
5. If you are over a D cup, please, please, I beg of you, wear a strapless bra that FITS properly. I have seen so many beautiful, busty ladies this summer wearing a strapless bra that is too small for them. This causes the breasts to bulge out the sides, top, and sometimes bottom of the bra. It ruins the entire outfit. Embrace your girls and buy a strapless bra in the right size- and you will look dynamite! Le Mystere makes phenomenal strapless bras that actually hold you up. If you want to truly go without a bra, look for halter style dresses with thicker fabric and a secure tie behind your neck. JCrew makes some fabulous halter dresses that are sexy and supportive.
What do you think about going braless? Share your thoughts below!
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
If you have ever wondered what you are missing from your lingerie wardrobe, watch this! Discover the 10 Essential Pieces of Lingerie that every girl should own- video style! Yes, there is a model included:)
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
1 Nude t-shirt bra: As much as I love to berate people for overusing this item, it is a must. The nude contour-cup bra will disappear under everything white and light.
2 Convertible/Strapless bra: Please, remove your straps if they are nude and don't need to be on display. Show off your blouse/shirt, instead. That is how God wants it. She told me.
3 Black lace bra & matching panty: This is the little black dress of your lingerie drawer; you will always find a need to pull it out and put it on--be it a date, an interview or a trip to the market. (feng shui that lingerie, baby!) The rule is to keep it sheer and lacy.
4 Date night bra & panty set: Think colorful, think details, think ornate. Do not wear padding on the 3rd date. The padding is not what he is after. Trust me.
5 Nude microfiber thong: Commando makes the BEST microfiber, invisible thong. You can wear it under almost anything. White maxi dress, white shorts, paper thin trousers--YES YOU CAN!
6 Camisole: Have a snug-fitting cami on hand to layer under anything that is see-through, too short, or when too much cleavage is showing up at the wrong time.
7 Hosiery - black tights & sheer hosiery: You should own a pair of black tights (duh) and a pair of sheer, preferably nude, hosiery. If you can't stand nude hosiery, buy nude fishnets, or nude thigh-highs with seams up the back to feel a little more va-va-va-voom.
8 Bias cut slip/chemise: This is a must have to throw on under transparent dresses in the summer. This piece will also make the perfect nighty for sleepovers--"What, this old thing? Yep, that's just how I roll...."
9 Shapewear/control device: Keep a pair of Spanx or control-tops on hand in case you buy something clingy and don't want to show off all the junk in your trunk, muffin-top, etc.
10 Robe: People, do not wear your sweatshirt 'round the house. Wear a robe. It is classier! You can find lots of kimono-style robes that have shorter sleeves so you can still cook, type and drink wine without dipping your sleeves in anything.
I will have the webinar of this lesson up shortly for those of you who prefer a good talkin' to online. Till then!
PS This list is from my book Underneath It All, a girl's guide to buying, wearing and loving lingerie. Check it out!
Thursday, May 26, 2011
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
I am here for you all to guide you in making the RIGHT selection for the right occasion. For example, I recently had a young man enlist me for help choosing lingerie for his wife-to-be. He thought lingerie would make a nice wedding present. So, upon going down the list of his wants, her needs, etc. it came out that this was his first lingerie purchase for her (awesome!). Then it came out that he wanted a nips-out bra (not awesome!). Here is the deal, dudes, if you are making your very first lingerie purchase for your lady, do not buy anything that is 1) slutty or 2) kinky. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with slutty or kinky lingerie--if that is your thing, go for it! However, if this is your first gift of undergarments, you want to relay a level of adoration and respect for your sweetie, not hoochy mama slash stripper fantasy.
So, here is the truth. Buy her something classy and sexy. You can find lots of beautiful, lacey, sheer numbers that will delight you both. Better to be safe than sorry (seriously) when giving the gift of lingerie.
For y'all working on baby #2 (or 3), it is an entirely different story. You can be as creative as you want to be, with my full support.
PS Did you know that Bellefleur offers personal shopping via phone? You nab her sizes, ring us 206-545-0222, we pick and ship. She will swoon and give you a fashion show. We will give you all the credit!
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
Monday, May 2, 2011
Friday, April 22, 2011
1. My friends are all in dry spells. The recent chat with girlfriends is extremely, well, rated-G. Our sig. others? Well, they would rather play "Angry Birds" on their iPhone in bed. We got no game!
2. The shop (Bellefleur) is Slow (with a capital S). Around comes April every year, and the sexy-lingerie sales dry up. What are we selling? T-shirt bras. Nude stuff. No matching sets. No garter belts. Nope, just the basics. No spring lovin' round these parts!
I have a couple theories as to why this happens each year in April. Maybe it is "tax season" stressing us all out? Something about a looming deadline takes the fun out of spontaneous sexy-time. Or the completely bi-polar and unreliable weather that throws us from depression and pulling out our vitamin D drops to downright hysteria when the sun comes out. Should I wear flip-flops or my puffy coat? Or both? Sigh...
Regardless of the reasons WHY we are in a down cycle in the boudoir, we are. Normally I would suggest a hot bath, a hotter date, and some smokin' lingerie--but I have to be honest, my mojo is on vacation until May 1. And let me tell you, May can not get here soon enough!
So just chill, and know that it's okay to spend an extra 20 minutes brushing your teeth, hoping he falls asleep. And don't worry if he decides to stay up watching a 3 year old re-run of Mythbusters instead of coming to bed with you. Enjoy your down time, and I will see you next month!
Thursday, April 21, 2011
The fabulous designer who won the title of best Jewelry 2010 in Seattle Magazine is gracing us with some of her beautiful, natural pieces. Regina uses gorgeous pieces from nature, including stones, coral and shells, to make her jewelry unique and truly one of a kind. Her hammered metal (silver or gold) earrings are easy to wear daily, and her prices will shock you (in a good way). Her shell jewelry (not shown, pictures can't do them justice) is my absolute favorite! As are her flat Japanese-pearl earrings--perfect for summer!
Regina will hold a trunk show on June 4th during our Spring fashion show--so make sure to save the date!
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Thursday, April 7, 2011
Thursday, March 31, 2011
Monday, March 21, 2011
When is the last time you went through your lingerie drawers? Lingerie is an essential part of our wardrobe, and as with anything, planning and proper care can increase the longevity of your investment. Taking time to review, replace and develop a lingerie wardrobe can enhance your figure, simplify getting dressed each morning and enable you to look your best.
Begin by taking an inventory of what you currently own about every six months and get rid of items that don't fit or flatter your shape as well as items that are worn or stretched out.
Based on your lifestyle, consider what types of bras, underwear, shape-wear and slips you may need, plus consider treating yourself to items that you feel beautiful wearing for special occasions or everyday if that is your style. A good rule of thumb is to own at least a weeks worth of daily lingerie sets and an additional weeks worth of panties.
Take a moment to think about your current lingerie history and answer the following questions:
* What do you sleep in?
* What lingerie sizes are your currently wearing?
* What brands of lingerie do you currently wear?
* How many bras do you own?
* Do you tend to wear the same bra everyday or rotate your bras?
* Do you hand wash/ hang dry or use the washing machine/ dryer on your lingerie?
* How would you describe your personal style? Do you prefer thongs, briefs, boy-shorts?
* How does it make you feel when you wear beautiful lingerie?
* Do you tend to wear beautiful lingerie because it makes you feel good or for others?
Once you assess your current lingerie collection, you can make a shopping plan to continue building your lingerie wardrobe on a regular basis.
Creator of The Lingerie Diet and the Free Circle Community
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Seriously. I am so in love with the new Can Can line from Maison Close I don't know what to say. How can you put pure beauty, love, cleverness and sexiness in to words? I am speechless. I am taking special orders for their new catalog through Monday, when I will be ordering myself one of these little numbers below. Yum. Our love affair with Maison Close continues...
New Can Can crop bustier: $68
Suspender belt bottom: $40
Wednesday, February 9, 2011
Thursday, February 3, 2011
Margaret Larson and the producers at New Day NW are amazing! So much fun!!
Watch Jen giving tips on how to buy gifts for Valentine's Day on New Day Northwest! Enjoy!
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
Those who know me aren't surprised that I love Valentine's Day, or any celebratory day for that matter. Life is short, why not live it up? I don't subscribe to the "Hallmark Holiday" bitterness that some do. I enjoy any excuse to celebrate and rejoice at life, and LOVE!
It doesn't hurt that my husband and I have a track-record for Valentine's Day romance. When we were first dating, he made the first Valentine's Day we spent together extra-special. He had been travelling through Europe, and decided to sneak home early to surprise me. The morning of Valentine's day I awoke to a trail of chocolate Kisses that led in to my powder room. In the bathroom, I found roses EVERYWHERE. On the counter was a card that read "Now that I have showered you with flowers, and kissed the ground you walk on, will you be my Valentine?" Sigh... still the most romantic moment, to date, in my life.
I have to admit that I also became engaged to Ryan on Valentine's Day. After a lovely day of shopping (he bought me lingerie!) we sat down to eat at a delicious, casual restaurant in Le Marais district. After dinner Ryan suggested a walk, which was a chilly one due to the cool February evening in Paris. Ryan proposed to me right over the Seine on Napolean's bridge, overlooking Notre Dame, the smell of warm chestnuts in the air. How could I say no?
Pretty romantic, n'est pas? Valentine's day is all good for me, and I hope it is for you, too! Life is all about making the best memories--I hope you make some good ones this February 14th!
Thursday, January 20, 2011